Career Level Manager
The Nurse Practitioner is responsible for providing primary healthcare to patients and families, focusing on health maintenance, disease prevention, patient education and counseling. Working under direct supervision of a Physician, the Nurse Practitioner follows established guidelines as required and within the established scope of practice. This position will participate in performance improvement activities and provideb guidance to Registered Nurses and Medical Assistants.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Effectively identifies, evaluates, and addresses disease prevention and health promotion issues of the
population in the clinic while administering quality patient care.
2. Responsible for the diagnosis and treatment of acute, chronic, and long-term healthcare issues.
3. Performs physical examinations and preventive health measures within prescribed guidelines and
instructions of physician.
4. Orders, interprets, and evaluates diagnostic tests to identify and assess patient’s clinical problems and
health care needs.
5. Educates patients and/or families about preventive care, medical issues, and use of prescribed medical
treatments and/or medications.
6. The Nurse Practitioner may council patients/ families on current medical conditions, patient progress,
and evolving plan of care.
7. Prescribes or recommends drugs or other forms of treatment such as physical therapy, inhalation
therapy, or related therapeutic procedures.
8. Works in an independent and interdependent relationship with members of the medical staff, which
allows for consultation, collaboration, or referral.
9. Consulting and collaborating with the Physician will be initiated as needed to ensure competent, safe,
and appropriate patient care.
10. May refer patients to physician for consultation or to specialized health resources for treatment.
11. Submits health care plan and goals of individual patients for periodic review and evaluation by
12. Facilitates evaluation of records by physician(s), peers, and Quality and Standards according to
protocols, and receives and implements constructive directives.
13. Responsible for participating in quality improvement projects/activities and accountable for quality
14. Perform all other duties as directed either formally or informally, verbally or in writing.
- Directly supervises Registered Nurse and Medical Assistants in the performance of their clinical duties and responsibilities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- A high standard of professionalism and professional ethics and conduct is expected in speech, manner, attitude and appearance at all times.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well with others.
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work cooperatively with
- Must possess excellent customer service including verbal and written communication.
- Ability to deal effectively with changing situations and stressful environment.
- Ability to perform tasks related to physical activity to complete the responsibilities of the position.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- Must be a graduate from an accredited School of Nursing recognized by the California Board of Nursing as a Nurse Practitioner
- Three years’ experience in a specialized field of practice (Family/OB)
- Must have a current California Nurse Practitioner license
- American Nursing Credentialing Corporation (ANCC) Certification or American Academy of Nurse
Practitioners (AANP) required for Nurse Practitioners
- Must have a current DEA certificate
- Current American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required
- Must maintain continuing medical education requirements for licensure